Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Do You Wanna Dance

A lifetime ago, when we were moving from Windsor, Ontario to Detroit, Michigan, my sixth-grade teacher thought that Canadian schools were a step ahead. So as a parting gift, he “promoted” me to the seventh. Within two weeks of beginning classes in mid-year at Goodale Junior High, I was called into the principal’s office, who promptly announced, “You don’t belong in the seventh grade. We’re placing you in the eighth.”

Neither the studies nor the sports were too demanding, but there was more to school than that. Gym on Fridays, for example, was set aside for Music, Dance, and other social skills. On one such Friday, I was standing by the wall enjoying the music, when I spotted a classmate approaching me. As she got closer, my comfort level began to evaporate. Then it happened. She asked, “Do you wanna dance?” I think I was even too shy to respond.

In my last Blog, some of you wrote that forgiveness is the best response to abusive behavior. And so it is for many reasons, not the least of which is to free oneself from the poison that has entered our minds and bodies, and to begin the healing process. But, I believe we must distinguish between forgiveness and reconciliation. Forgiveness is what we do NOT because the abuser has begun to change or we hope that they will. Forgiveness is given because we discover even more the best in us; the One who is within us. We do it because of WHO WE ARE, not because the other merits it or has asked for it.

One of the things I have learned is that what people think about us, say about us, or do to us, often says more about them than about us. The key is to know oneself and be true to oneself. We see this most clearly in Jesus on the Cross, as he forgives us not because we earned it, or changed from our sinful ways. He simply does it because of who he is and the great love within him.

Reconciliation, on the other hand, (whether with each other or with God) requires that both parties are in accord, both in sync to the same tune, as if dancing together. It is not easy to be attuned to the same music with all, for any number of reasons. Some are not ready for reconciliation. Some may have a low self-esteem, which skews their thinking and leads to anti-social and destructive actions, or they have developed bad, perhaps even violent and explosive, habits, and will need more time to mature in their development. Some simply have a different chemistry or outlook. We cannot force a change in them. Nor is it healthy to force ourselves on them by remaining in a relationship that is not life-giving.

Forgiveness is to love as reconciliation is to like. We can love all and desire the very best for them, while at the same time not necessarily like them because of their behavior, personality, etc. To forgive is to simply enjoy the music and be in harmony with ourselves (and with God). To reconcile is to dance with another, wherein both are moving (or at least want to step) to the same tune.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, amazing amazing blog Fr. Frank... I particularly relate to what you said, "One of the things I have learned is that what people think about us, say about us, or do to us, often says more about them than about us. The key is to know oneself and be true to oneself."

    Thank you for sharing and as you know... because I perserved with the annulment process and felt some sort of healing - my relationship with my ex-husband has been blessed. Like you mentioned in your blog...we are dancing with one another a dance of forgiveness and reconciliation. Things couldn't be better for the both of us. God has truly blessed both of our families and I couldn't not have imagined such peace. The kids are truly blessed to see both parents truly enjoying one another even though they do not share the same household. It's just amazing what true forgiveness can do -

    I also learned that all this time I was the one that had to let go of the past and forgive. All this time I thought he had to ask me for forgiveness and I remember always telling myself that once he asked me to forgive him, then I would forgive him. But I realized in this path of mine, that God does not put conditions on us, he JUSTS FORGIVES.. and by me doing just that... I WAS FINALLY FREE FROM MY OWN PRISON!

    May God Bless you today and always. And to answer your question... I wish there was a college I would sign up to be your student anytime!!! I learn so much from your wisdom and simplicity!!! Love you Fr. Frank

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fr. Frank, Thanks so much for sharing such a great article with me—you gave me so much more insight in my life and the journey that I am—hopefully I will be there to enjoy what God has in store for all of us Much Love and Blessings—this I will pass on to my loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Fr. Frank for making this clear distinction between forgiveness and reconciliation. That is very helpful to me. And also good to read about this commenter's experience of finding healing and forgiveness with her former spouse through the annulment process. I'd guess her experience is unusual (not of annulment but of coming to such a happy relationship with her former spouse). God bless, Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  4. You never cease to amaze me with your writings. You have such a gift for communicating with others whether it be in writing, preaching or just spending time with a friend. I have been blessed because of you and I am thankful that you and I crossed paths. Thank you Fr. Frank for all you are and for all you do to help inspire in me a stronger faith and love for all things. I love you Fr. Frank and miss you lots. Remember, same time next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my response to how best to help someone grow in their faith. Sorry for its length.

    We need to have a real encounter with God and realize that he lives within every single one of us. How can you love something or someone that you do not know? How can we love God and want to live right by him if we never have an encounter with him. He is not some being that is present for one hour inside of the church. He is omnipotent and everywhere at all times. It is more than saying you have faith in God. It is living your faith. Trusting in him and knowing that regardless of what happens in our lives it is always for the best.

    This is not easy. Sometimes we want things in our lives that we think will be the best for us but only God knows. How do we discover God in us? Ask him to let us feel his presence. He says to seek and you will find, Ask and you shall receive. We need to ask for this encounter with him. We have to accept him into our hearts. Not only praying, asking for what we want because God knows what we want even before we ask. It is prayer that connects us with him.

    This may seem like rattling but I truly believe that you can learn all about the Church's History and its teachings, but none of these things can save us or give us this relationship with God. I am not saying that these things are not important but we need to first find God. All of the other things are secondary. Once we know God then we can appreciate all of these other gifts such as the church that he has given us.

    2nd - Read the bible. Learn scripture. How can we trust in God if we don’t know his promises. He communicates with us through the bible. It is not God's word until we accept it into our hearts.

    Correct me if I am wrong Fr., but I have come to the conclusion that when I die God is not going to ask me if I was Catholic or Baptist or any other denomination. I think that what is going to matter is how much I loved him and what I did here on earth to show him that I loved him.

    I was in my room last night talking to God and a passage came to my mind. Isaiah 55. Here is what it was. I was in awe.

    All you who are thirsty, come to the water! You who have no money, come, receive grain and eat; come, without paying and without cost, drink wine and milk! Why spend your money for what is not bread; your wages for what fails to satisfy? Heed me, and you shall eat well, you shall delight in rich fare. Come to me. Heedfully listen, that you may have life. I will renew with you the everlasting covenant, the benefits assured to David. As I made him a witness to the peoples, a leader and commander of nations, so shall you summon a nation you knew not, and nations that knew you not shall run to you, because of the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, who has glorified you. Seek the LORD while he may be found, call him while he is near.

    Let the scoundrel forsake his way, and the wicked man his thoughts; let him turn to the LORD for mercy; to our God, who is generous in forgiving. For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways, says the LORD. As high as the heavens are above the earth, so high are my ways above your ways and my thoughts above your thoughts. For just as from the heavens the rain and snow come down And do not return there till they have watered the earth, making it fertile and fruitful, Giving seed to him who sows and bread to him who eats, so shall my word be that goes forth from my mouth; It shall not return to me void, but shall do my will, achieving the end for which I sent it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peace and joy. Thank you indeed for sharing. You are a person of deep faith. Bless you.

    As I read your comments, a couple points came to mind. First of all, "all that matters is to have a real encounter with God...[by] opening our heart." I could not agree more. This is my mission as I preach each weekend, each time I celebrate Mass, each time I reach out to another.

    The incarnation of Jesus tells us that God is both divine and human. You cannot encounter one without encountering the other. You cannot open you heart to one without opening your heart to the other(s).

    The reason for having a sense of our Catholic history is to be aware that one of the best ways we have manifested God's love and presence is by sheltering the homeless and feeding the hungry - materially and spiritually. We have a great history when it comes to social justice activism.

    Secondly, you recommend reading the Bible - God's Word. I agree. This, too, is our history (and God's) our walking together, God among us...encountering us is the peaks and valleys of our journey. But just as you said about our Catholic history, so too about the Bible. Reading it without putting it into action is of little value. As the saying goes, "It's not how often you went through the Bible, but how often it went through you."

    Having said all that, the question remains, "Why be a Catholic? Why return to the Church?" For me, what distinguishes the Catholic faith is the sacraments. The sacraments are encounters with God, that of which you spoke. God is everywhere. God is within us. But God manifests Self in a most intimate and profound way in the sacraments...if they are entered into with true faith, true awareness...and if we enflesh them. There much more that I could say here but perhaps best to leave that for a separate blog.

    ReplyDelete