Friday, October 9, 2009

“Can you drink the cup…”

Jesus’ response to James and John when they asked for special treatment come judgment day was, “Can you drink from the cup that I drink?” (Mk 10:38). Now the question many may be wondering, and that I have been asked to address is, “Should we be drinking from the cup…given the fear of swine disease, etc.” Similarly, should we be holding hands at the Our Father and shaking hands at the Kiss of Peace, especially if the celebrant does not.

On Sunday, October 11, Blessed Damien of Molokai will be canonized. I cannot think of a more opportune moment to respond to the inquiry. St. Damien chose to risk his life, and ultimately lost it, to openly express his compassion and brotherhood for those who suffered leprosy. It is worth remembering that St. Francis of Assisi also feared this deadly disease and chose to stay away from its victims until his moment of conversion and then upon encountering a leper went to him and kissed him, free of all his fear.

There are accounts of indigenous people around the world drinking the blood or eating the heart of a valiant opponent so as to be made stronger themselves. As a child in Montelepre, Sicily, I remember standing for the first time in a long line as they slaughtered a cow and with cup in hand as I reached the front of the line, it was filled from the gushing blood. I was told it was good and healthy for us. When I took a sip, it was not what I expected, though I don't know what my expectations were. I only know that it was warm, and that it was not what I expected. I tossed it, and unfortunately a girl about the same age as I was standing next to me, and she was covered with the blood I tossed. To say she was not happy is an understatement. Thank God we soon thereafter moved to Canada, or she might have had her revenge.

I must say that as I travel the country each weekend I have observed that some parishes, and even some dioceses, have temporarily limited the distribution to the single species of the Body. However, most are still using both species. Also, I believe it has been the policy of the Church that no one has to extend their hands to others either at the Lord's Prayer or at the Kiss of Peace. It is an option, although so many do it that some may feel forced to participate. But I have observed some who choose not to participate, perhaps for health reasons.

Now as far the celebrant reaching out to others either at the Our Father or at the Kiss of Peace, I for one always try to, though I do not force the Deacon or altar servers if they are not inclined, and I generally go to those nearby to shake hands. Most willingly reach out even from a few pews back; a few give me their wrist instead of the hand. And that's fine with me.

I confess that I am one who strongly believes in the distribution of the Cup - even more than the Body, though by no means would I ever not distribute the Body. But the Cup has a special meaning. Jesus’ response to his apostles (and to us) implies that in receiving the Precious Blood we, too, are willing to give our own. We, too, are willing to take whatever risk to reveal our love for one another, our brotherhood and sisterhood. Isn’t that what Jesus did? Isn’t that what being a disciple…a saint is all about? More importantly, do we really believe it is the Blood of Christ? Do we really believe in his presence in the one next to us? in us?

During the beatification homily of Blessed Damien in 1995, Pope John Paul II said: "Holiness is not perfection according to human criteria; it is not reserved for a small number of exceptional persons. It is for everyone; it is the Lord who brings us to holiness, when we are willing to collaborate” despite the inherent fears and risks. Peace and joy.

1 comment:

  1. I've given this subject a lot of thought since you posted it. Often I go to daily Mass as well as on Sundays. I also live in a retirement community and I believe most of these folks really are afraid of "catching" something or may be ill themselves. Recently, since drinking from the cup is optional, in the churches I have observed, my observation is that a minority of people do not choose to take the blood of Christ. If, as in Protestant Churches, the cups were individual, and/or the person brought their own communion cup, the fear of disease might lessen and more people might be more receptive. This does not address your issue as stated but is merely an observation on my part.

    ReplyDelete