Wednesday, February 3, 2010

PRICELESS

Today is the Feast of St. Blaise. Tradition has it that St. Blaise saved the life of a child who had a bone stuck in his throat. On this day the Church celebrates the blessing of throats, and the healing of whatever ails us, with these words: “Through the intercession of St. Blaise, Bishop and Martyr, may God heal you.” Often we confuse healing with curing.

My brother, Vito, has been battling leukemia for more than 12 years. Thanks to a bone-marrow transplant, modern medicine, and countless prayers, he is still active and enjoying life. But about eight years ago it looked very bleak. One of my nephews, Joe, came to me one day and said, “I don’t understand it Uncle Frank. I’ve been praying that God would heal my Dad but nothing has happened.” My response was, “How do you know that God has not healed your Dad. Healing draws us closer to God; curing merely takes care of our infirmity. There are many who may be suffering from some disease or infirmity but need no healing, while others who appear to be perfectly healthy are in great need of healing.” Often the healing that takes place is within the heart and soul. And indeed in both Vito and other dear friends I have noticed that in the heat of battle with cancer or some other life-taking malady their RELATIONSHIPS with those around them, family and friends, and with themselves, and with God GREW STRONGER. Despite their fears and desire for life, there was an internal fortitude and PEACE. And more…

Back in 1996, I was at the beginning of my religious journey in Chicago. At the church of St. Paul I met a beautiful, holy woman – Sr. Emma – a Sister of St. Casmir, 88 years young at the time. She was wheel-chair bound, and suffered from a variety of ailments. Yet her face was aglow with radiant joy. I invited her out to dinner to get to know her better. She accepted my offer but said she would like to eat early because she wanted to be with her community for evening prayers. So I said we could dine at 6:00 or even at 5:30 if she wished. She said, “Let us dine at 5:00.” I picked her up at the convent and took her to a fine Italian restaurant nearby, Bruna’s, on Oakley Street in the Heart of Chicago, where there are a number of Italian restaurants, including the old Villa Marconi, supposedly Al Capone’s favorite. Given the early hour, when we entered the restaurant it was empty of patrons. She looked around and said, “My, but you are a big spender. You reserved this whole place just for me.” I replied, “Of course. Nothing is too good for you.” When we were seated, I finally took the opportunity to ask, “Sister, you radiate such a profound joy. What is your secret?” In an instant she said, “Perhaps it’s because I have suffered so much.” That was the last answer I expected. Yet suffering can lead, and in her had led, to JOY. And more…

I previously mentioned that I used to volunteer at the Port, a Franciscan soup kitchen in South Chicago. One Thanksgiving, because they were expecting great numbers, they assigned the regular volunteers to specific duties. Mine was to be a greeter at the door. As I approached the door, I noticed a man already there. He had such a brilliant smile. When I was almost upon him, I also noticed that he had a long, white cane. He extended his hand and said, “My name is Wayne. What’s yours?” Despite his blindness, he knew that I was within hand-shake distance. I gave him my name. We had both been assigned to be the “welcoming committee.” I couldn’t have asked for a better partner. Wayne quickly shared his story with me. He had been a photographer and reporter for the Chicago Tribune. Then he began to lose his eyesight. He not only lost his profession, he became so angry and bitter that he also lost his wife. He contemplated suicide. One day as he was thinking how best to end his life, he walked by what he sensed was a church. He walked in, and sat for a long time. In fact, the pastor had come to him to say that it was quite late and they were closing the doors. However, when he noticed the white cane, he said he could stay a while longer. Wayne said he would leave, but asked if he could come back. “Of course”, the priest said. Wayne went back a number of times. Though he was brought up in another faith, he found so much serenity, warmth, and comfort in this Catholic church that he converted. He said to me, “I used to get so angry when others wanted to help me cross a street, because I felt helpless…less than whole. Now I am so grateful. I welcome all who want to help so that I can share with them my encounter with the Lord. Just as St. Paul said, ‘When I am weak, then I am made strong.’ Now I can share the Good News and EVANGELIZE by giving witness to my own journey of faith.”

Entering into a stronger relationship with God, feeling inner peace and deep joy, and being an instrument of sharing God’s love and presence…TRUE HEALING...(and as a current commercial says, PRICELESS).

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the inspiration you send our way! I trust that you also are reaping the benefits of your generosity! Things around here tend to be too busy for our good. But then a message from you brightens the day and I share that joy with those I meet--mostly students who deserve that treat! Blessings and peace! I shall keep your brother Vito in my daily prayers. Love, Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comments about your brother and healing struck a note with me. I'm a cancer patient/survivor too. When I began the journey, I asked my priest for a healing blessing and he gave me a beautiful one. It calmed me and helped me to trust God to take care of me and help me, and God did. I imagined God carrying me and Jesus holding me, and it helped me get through it. I was in a Catholic hospital and they even allowed me to take a rosary into the operating room. I went through chemo, and learned that there is no more healing and positive place than a chemo unit. Not because everyone is going to get well because they aren't, but because they are positive and forward looking. Everyone is positive from the nurses to the patients. The experience turned me into a much more positive person; my cup is always at least half full. I don't know if the cancer will come back -- I hope not -- but I trust God to be with me and give me what I need when I need it, and that is healing in its own right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Fr. Frank for sharing this great message. I love your last paragraph. That feeling is indeed priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read all your blogs, but do not always find the time to reply. I found this particular blog to be very touching. Very compelling how you have distinguished between being healed versus being cured. This is something I guess I have not really contemplated until reading your passage.

    It caused me to stop and think….and reflect on my own life and what I have been through in recent years. I would probably sound proud if I said I am now healed, but sometimes I do darn sure feel like it. I am proud of where I have come to, and how I have overcome what I like to refer to as “the demons”. There is no doubt that something had a grip on me, not only my own internal anger, but also the supplements that I “fell into” as I focused more and more on heavier weight lifting. When I think back on those days, and how I lost at times every semblance of control, I still feel this great sense of embarrassment and, as I am doing right now, I just shake my head in disbelief. But, alas, this great sense of embarrassment I can proudly say is now quickly followed by a sense of pride, and a sense of peace and calm. So to some degree, I have been healed.

    I have found within myself this small shining light that has grown and become a bigger light. Again I am too humble to feel as though it is yet a big flame, but there is no doubt that it has become a pretty darn good size light. And just thinking about this, when I do, humbles me even more. For as healthy as I am, and the fact that I work out 7 days a week, and I feel great physically, the most important thing to me is that now I can say I feel well mentally….and for quite a while, this was not the case.

    I knew I was stumbling, but yet could not stabilize my footing. It must have been those rocks that I hit at “rock bottom” that jarred me and….well…….at least when I fell I landed on my back so to speak, so at least I was looking up and could get back up. There is no doubt within me that I was able to overcome and regain my life’s footing because Christ was with me. I think about it, and I see with 20/20 clarity my own personal “footprints in the sand”…..and I know that “it was then that HE carried me”. As I think about my own personal circumstances, and even those that I have interacted with over time who have had their own personal circumstances, I believe that healing is a process……and so as each day passes I continue to try and heal and also help others heal as well. For sure there were those that were there to help me when I was down, yourself included, and that has inspired me to want to help others who are down on their luck, saddened, depressed, or anything similar.

    Your blogspot definitely struck me, and has brought to me a reminder of how blessed I am, and certainly I am thankful.

    ReplyDelete