Friday, February 19, 2010

PENNY WISE

Jack Benny was one of the grand comics of old. He was reputed to be very wealthy and also had a reputation for being very tight with his money. I remember watching his weekly TV program. On one particular night he told of how he was walking down the streets of New York when a robber put a gun to his back and demanded, “Your money or your life.” In telling the story, Jack Benny put his right hand to his cheek and started to drum his fingers against the cheek…thinking about his decision. The robber exasperated said, “Hey mister, I said, ‘Your money or your life.’” Jack responded, “I’m thinking! I’m thinking!”

More recently, I heard a variation of this story. A priest is walking in a cemetery adjacent to his church, saying his evening prayers, when a thief approaches him with knife in hand and says, “Your money or your life.” The priest checks his pockets and notices that he has left his wallet at home, and has nothing at all to give him…except a candy bar. He offer that to the thief, who tells him, “No thanks, Father, I gave up chocolate for Lent.”

Jesus, at his baptism, heard these words, “You are my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased.“ He heard them…he believed them…he lived them. Immediately thereafter he was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted…to be tested. Temptations are not bad…they are merely a way to prove to ourselves (and perhaps to others) what we truly believe. We know Jesus was tempted with power, wealth/security, and fame/recognition…the same temptations we face each day.

How are we doing? What words do we hear that need to be put to the test? Perhaps, like the thief above, we too are tempted to be “penny wise and dollar foolish”, perhaps giving up chocolates or other treats during Lent…but failing to see what truly matters and to make the more meaningful sacrifices and decisions to connect with God and to be our truest self. Lent is a special time to focus on what is most important…and to align our lives accordingly.

God says to us, “This is the fasting that I wish…Sharing your bread with the hungry, sheltering the oppressed and the homeless; clothing the naked when you see them, and not turning your back on your own.” (Isaiah 58:6-7) Do we have ears to hear? Are we up to the test?

1 comment:

  1. As I walked the way of the cross, one of the stations really touched my heart. Simon wondered as he took those beams upon his shoulders, why he was chosen for such a heavy burden and now he knows. Help me Jesus, to trust your loving Providence as you permit suffering to weave itself in and out of my life. Make me understand that You looked at it and held it fondly before You passed it on to me. You watch me and give me strength just as You did Simon. When I enter Your Kingdom, I shall know as he knows, what marvels Your Cross has wrought in my soul.

    WOW. Jesus loves us so much that sometimes we cant look past our circumstances to see. Too often we spend too much time and energy complaining about things when in the end everything is permitted to happen for a greater good. Let us embrace the cross this lent because the cross is victory but not without suffering.. Thank you Jesus for touching my heart tonight you know how much I needed you and you are always there for me..

    ReplyDelete