Monday, February 15, 2010

ANOTHER LENT

Another Lent is upon us. What will make this one different? On Ash Wednesday we are marked on the forehead with ashes, reminding us that one day we will return to dust. All too often we celebrate this holy season by placing our minds on automatic pilot, re-living the "sacrifices" we learned long ago. We pass the Lenten days going through the ritualistic motions of fast and abstinence, perhaps with additional prayers and reflections, giving up sweets or other pleasures…to “die” in some fashion. Often it can seem more an endurance test than a Holy encounter. The forty days pass and we return to the normalcy of life. But if all that happens is that we return to the life of old, have we truly been resurrected?

Lent is meant to awaken us...to the reality of who we are and whose we are! Plato's classic work "The Republic", includes a story he entitles, "The Allegory of the Cave". In this story slaves are chained within a cave, working with their backs to a central fire behind them. They are chained in such a way that the only thing they see are the shadows on the cave walls of the guards behind them. The shadows are their reality. One day, one of them escapes and when he discovers the light of day, with all its brilliant colors, he feels compelled to go back and tell the others. But they think he's crazy and refuse to believe him. Their lives remain unchanged...chained to the same old views.

Lent is a time to walk more closely and perhaps to suffer with Christ so that we see the true light of our being...so that His resurrection is our resurrection. We don't want to simply hear, and even believe, in some mythic "fairy tale" or miracle of long ago. We want to see the Light and experience the fullness of Life. We want to be RESURRECTED!

Two thousand years ago, Jesus, above all, challenged his hearers to respond to the reality he was proclaiming. The faith that animated his life should be what animates ours. He understood the Kingdom of God as the most important reality of human life and dedicated himself totally to it. What can we do to take on his attitude and convictions...to have the same relationship with God that he had? What would he say to us today? How can we make this Lent more meaningful and life-changing?

In the past, I have recommended that instead of a “fast”, we might “slow down” and intentionally make the effort to notice the hand of God in us, in those we meet, in nature or the cosmos…to be attentive to some “miracle” each day…perhaps to be aware of the suffering Christ in our midst – someone who needs our compassion, our smile, our kind words. Another alternative might be to “feast” instead of “fasting”. Imagine taking a spiritual cruise, and going to Christ’s table of plenty as often as possible, perhaps even daily…but not to simply attend Mass and check it off our list. Rather to be present to the Holy Presence…in the Word, on the Altar, in the Body of those in communion.

If we long for a daily walk with Our Lord, may I recommend the Gospels of Mark and Luke, with 16 and 24 chapters, respectively…perhaps to read and reflect on one chapter each day. The two gospels form a good contrast and help bring to life the overall story of Jesus. For the persecuted yet hopeful community of Mark, Jesus is the suffering Son of Man who will return to judge the living and the dead. But for the community of Luke which is settling down in history, this end-time portrait is modified. Jesus becomes the exemplar of Christian life – a man of prayer, who forgives easily and inclusively invites all to table fellowship, and who confronts systemic and individual injustice...for the sake of the persecuted and the persecutor.

Perhaps, we yearn to have a daily chat with Jesus and be inspired by his words to us. If so, I have made a list of 122 quotes – sayings of Jesus and God. Choose whichever you wish and enter in a “dialogue”. Select one or more each day, or simply stay with one for as long as it leads you into a more intimate awareness of the Holy…with you…in you. May this Lent not be just ANOTHER LENT.

1. This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased. Mt 3:17
2. One does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes forth from the mouth of God. Mt 4:4
3. He will command his angels concerning you, and “with their hands they will support you, lest you dash your foot against a stone.” Mt 4:6
4. The Lord, your God, shall you worship and him alone shall you serve. Mt 4:10
5. Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. Mt 4:17
6. Come after me, and I will make you fishers of men. Mt 4:19
7. Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of God. Mt 5:3
8. Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted. Mt 5:4
9. Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land. Mt 5:5
10. Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied. Mt 5:6
11. Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. Mt 5:7
12. Blessed are the pure of heart for they will see God. Mt 5:8
13. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. Mt 5:9
14. Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
15. Blessed are you when they insult you and persecute you and utter every kind of evi against you [falsely] because of me. rejoice and be Glad for you reward in heaven will be great in heaven. Mt 5:11-12
16. Whoever is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment. Mt 5:22
17. Whoever strikes you on your right cheek, turn the other one to him as well. Mt 5:39
18. Love your enemies. Mt 5:44
19. Be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect. Mt 5:48
20. Take care to not do righteous deeds in order that people may see them. Mt 6:1
21. Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth…for where your treasure is, there will your heart be. Mt 6:19-21
22. No one can serve two masters…You cannot serve God and mammon. Mt 6:24
23. Do not worry…Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all…will be given you…Do not worry. Mt 6:25-34
24. Stop Judging…Why do you notice the splinter in your brother’s eye, but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own eye? Mt 7:1-3
25. Ask and it will be given you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. Mt 7:7
26. By their fruits you will know them…Not everyone who says to me, “Lord, Lord,” will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven. Mt 7:15-21
27. Follow me, and let the dead bury their dead. Mt 8:22
28. Why are you terrified, o you of little faith? Mt 8:26
29. Do not be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. Mt 10:31
30. Whoever does not take up his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Mt 10:38
31. Whoever receives you receives me, and whoever receives me receives the one who sent me. Mt 10:40
32. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest. Mt 11:29
33. I desire mercy not sacrifice. Mt 12:7
34. Whoever is not with me is against me. Mt 12:30
35. Whoever does the will of my heavenly Father is my brother, and sister, and mother. Mt 12:50
36. O you of little faith, why did you doubt? Mt 14:31
37. Woman, great is your faith. Let it be done for you as you wish. Mt 15:28
38. My heart is moved with pity for the crowd. Mt 15:32
39. Who do you say that I am? Mt 16:15
40. You are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church. Mt 16:18
41. I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven. Mt 16:19
42. What profit would there be to gain the whole world and forfeit his life? Mt 16:26
43. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Mt 18:4
44. I say to you, [forgive] not seven times but seventy-seven times. Mt 18:22
45. Love your neighbor as yourself. Mt. 19:19
46. If you wish to be perfect, go sell what you have and give to the poor. Mt 19:21
47. Whoever wishes to be great among you shall be your servant. Mt 20:26
48. The Son of Man did not come to be served but to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many. Mt 20:28
49. Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive. Mt 21:22
50. Repay to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and to God what belongs to God. Mt 22:21
51. You shall love God with your whole heart…and…your neighbor as yourself. Mt 22:37-38
52. Woe to you…you hypocrites...you serpents, you brood of vipers. Mt 23:15-33
53. I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink...whatever you did for one of these least ones, you did for me. Mt 25:35, 40
54. Take and eat; this is my body…This is my blood. Mt 26:26-28
55. Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass form me; yet, not as I will but as you will. Mt 26:39
56. My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Mt 27:46
57. Go…and make disciples of all…teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold I am with you always. Mt 28:19-20
58. The kingdom of God is at hand. Repent and believe in the gospel. Mk 1:15
59. I did not come to call the righteous but sinners. Mk 2:17
60. Daughter, your faith has saved you. Mk 5:34
61. Do not be afraid; just have faith. Mk 5:36
62. Take nothing for the journey – no food, no sack, no money. Mk 6:8
63. Give them some food yourselves. Mk 6:37
64. Take courage, it is I, do not be afraid! Mk 6:50
65. My heart is moved with pity for the crowd. Mk 8:2
66. Whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and that of the gospel will save it. Mk 8:35
67. How hard it is for those who have wealth to enter the kingdom of God. Mk 10:23
68. Whoever does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it shall be done for him. Mk 11:23
69. To love your neighbor as yourself is worth more than all burnt offerings and sacrifices. Mk 12:33
70. This poor widow put in more than all the other contributors…for they contributed from their surplus wealth, but she from her whole livelihood. Mk 12:43-44
71. Be watchful! Be alert! You do not know when the time will come. Mk 13:33
72. One of you will betray me. Mk 14:18
73. Did you not know that I must be in my father’s house? Lk 3:49
74. The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to bring glad tidings to the poor. Lk 4:18
75. Put out into deep water and lower your nets for a catch. Lk 5:4
76. Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. Lk 6:27-28
77. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. Lk 6:36
78. Forgive and you will be forgiven. LK 7:37
79. Give and gifts will be given to you. Lk 7:38
80. No one who sets a hand to the plow and looks to what was left behind is fit for the kingdom of God. Lk 9:62
81. Which of the three was neighbor to the robbers’ victim?...Go and do likewise. Lk 10:36-37
82. Blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it. Lk 11:28
83. Strive to enter through the narrow gate. Lk 13:24
84. When you hold a dinner…invite the poor. Lk 14:13
85. Everything I have is yours. But now we must celebrate and rejoice, because your brother was dead and come to life again; he was lost and has been found. Lk 15:32
86. The kingdom of God is among you. Lk 17:21
87. Everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and the one who humbles himself will be exalted. Lk 18:14
88. Zaccheus, come down quickly for today I must stay at your house…The Son of Man has come to seek and to save what was lost. Lk 19:10
89. If this day you only knew what makes for peace. Lk 19:42
90. I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. Lk 22:15
91. This is my body which will be given for you; do this in memory of me…This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which will be shed for you. Lk 22:20
92. Father, forgive them for they know not what they do. Lk 23:34
93. Come, and you will see…Follow me. Jn 1:39, 43
94. Woman…My hour has not yet come. Jn 2:4
95. If you knew the gift of God and who is saying to you, “Give me a drink,” you would have asked him and he would have given you living water. Jn 4:10
96. My food is to do the will of the one who sent me and to finish his work. Jn 4:34
97. Do not work for food that perishes but for the food that endures for eternal life. Jn 6:27
98. I am the bread of life…Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life. Jn 6: 35, 54
99. Let anyone who thirsts come to me and drink. Jn 7:37
100. Let the one among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her. Jn 8:7
101. I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life. Jn 8:12
102. If you remain in my word, you will truly be my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. Jn 8:31-32
103. I came into the world so that those who do not see might see. Jn 9:39
104. I am the gate for the sheep...I came so that they might have life and have it abundantly. Jn. 10:7, 10
105. I am the good shepherd, and I know mine and mine know me. Jn 10:14
106. I am the resurrection and the life, whoever believes in me, even if he dies, will live. Do you believe this? Jn 11:25-26
107. Lazarus, come out! Jn 11L43
108. Amen, amen, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains just a grain of wheat, but if it dies, it produces much fruit. Jn 12:24
109. Do you realize what I have done for you? You call me “teacher” and “master”, and rightly so, for indeed I am. If I have washed your feet, you ought to wash one another’s feet. I have given you a model to follow. Jn 13:12-15
110. I give you a new commandment: love one another as I have loved you. ..this is how all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. Jn 13:34-35
111. I am the way, the truth, and the life. Jn 14:6
112. If you love me, you will keep my commandments. Jn 14:15
113. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Jn 14:27
114. I am the [true] vine, you are the branches. Whoever remains in me and in him will bear much fruit, because without me you can do nothing. Jn 15:5
115. I have told you this so that my joy might be in you and your joy might be complete. Jn 15:11
116. It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will remain. Jn 15:16
117. I pray…that they may all be one, as you, Father, are in me and I in you. Jn 17:21
118. Woman, Behold your son…Behold your mother. Jn 19:26-27
119. I thirst. Jn 19:28
120. It is finished. Jn 19:30
121. Put your fingers here and see my hands, and bring your hand and put it into my side….and believe. Jn 20:27
122. Do you love me?...Feed my lambs…Tend my sheep…Feed my sheep. Jn 21:15-17

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Another monumental work of putting us in touch with what it's all about -- continually awakening us to new thought and action! If we aren't resurrected, come Easter, it won't be your fault!!! Bless you! -- and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete