Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Let there be light

Today we celebrate the feast of the archangels, Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael. While angels have become somewhat popular in recent times, there's not much we know about them. One thing we do know is that they have no physical bodies - they are not visible - and they are "good" (the word itself an extension of "God"). I wonder if that means that if we are good when we cannot be seen, when there is no chance of being caught, that we, too, would be angels. Not a perfect syllogism, I know...still, perhaps there may be something to this. And yet God's very first words in the Bible are, "Let there be light." Does that mean that God knows we are weak and prone to do what is not good, and therefore wants to be sure there is enough light to keep us from stumbling? Perhaps. That would seem to say God doesn't have much confidence is us. But this is in total contrast with the great trust and confidence God shows in us by placing God's dreams (for a heaven on earth) and God's very Self in our hands (as in the Eucharist). Perhaps, God's first words really say,"Let us be the light"..."us" as in you and me, "us" as in collaboration with God, to make all "good".

4 comments:

  1. Hi Fr. Frank. You asked me about blogging a couple weeks ago when you were at St. K's in New Hampshire. Looks like you got one setup. I tried to e-mail you info and pictures but the e-mail address on your card didn't work. I'm glad to see you have it working. Mike Levesque

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mike. Good to hear from you. I'm still trying to get the hang of it. All the best. Peace and joy, Fr. Frank

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Father Frank and all of your friends...greetings from Springfield, Missouri. Several years ago I picked up a musical and commentary CD by Pope John Paul II...in one of the passages, he invites us to "step into the light...out of the darkness" as a way to get to closer to our Lord...those words have stayed with me, even though I feel that most of the time I am bumbling around in the dark.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Fr. Frank. As always, your words have left me questioning "Have I been as good of a person as I could have been today?" I sure do miss hearing you at Mass. While others may try to come close, they just aren't the same. I will definitely be checking for new postings. Take care. Love and Peace, Chris and all

    ReplyDelete