Saturday, February 4, 2017

SALT AND LIGHT

Martin Scorsese’s latest movie, Silence, captures the faith of converts and their Jesuit guides in seventeenth-century Japan. Perhaps to convey the violent challenges of faith (for both those who seek to live their faith and those who feel threatened by these convictions), much of the film is shot in driving rain and stark landscapes. 

In my prior life as a lawyer, I was blessed to experience a different Land of the Rising Sun - the beauty of the land and the goodness of the people, the countless gold-trimmed temples in Nikko and Kyoto, the many serene mountain rice-paddies and tranquil gardens, the majestic Mount Fuji. There was harmony all around.

But my most cherished and impactful memory is that of a meeting with a CEO as we began to negotiate a possible joint venture. At our introduction we greeted each other in the oriental tradition with a respectful bow. We also shook hands.

I was startled to see that he had some Japanese characters written on the palm of his hand. When I inquired, he said, Each day I write one word - a virtue - on my palm to remind me of the person I want to be.

I am reminded of that encounter as I reflect on our gospel, with Jesus telling us to be Salt (of the earth) and Light (of the world). It seems Jesus used the same technique as my new-found friend, to help us, his disciples, focus each day on being the person we want to be.

To be salt means enriching our relationships and our world by being the spices and seasoning, flavor and zest needed to bring out the best in each other.

To be light, as in the words of Isaiah today, by sharing your bread with the hungry, sheltering the oppressed and the homeless, clothing the naked, then your light shall break forth like the dawn.

Not to be confused with salt-lite, the concern of giving too much for fear that it might be dangerous to one's financial health and personal comfort.

Last week I invited you to think of an image of yourself by which to live and be remembered. Today, I extend the invitation to enter into a daily spiritual exercise. Perhaps as you reflect on both Jesus’ words and the person you want to be, there might be some other word (or words) that you would like to help guide you each day.

Why not write that word some place to remind you each day…perhaps on the palm of your hand?

No comments:

Post a Comment