Sunday, December 4, 2016

JESUS - OUR GPS

Quo Vadis? Where are you going? Where are we going? And how do we get there? Our Jewish ancestors had the prophets to guide them, the greatest being John the Baptist, known principally for his finger - the one he used to point to Jesus: our true Star, our Guide, our GPS. It's interesting to compare John and Jesus.
Both preached a message about the dawn of a new age.
Because of this, both called people to reform their lives and have a change of heart.
Both stressed the urgency of this choice.
Both were "itinerant preachers" rather than someone attached to the Temple or a synagogue.
Both gathered disciples.

But there were significant differences:


John had the people come out to him in the wilderness, whereas Jesus went to the people in their towns and villages, and into their homes.
John's message was a fiery one, threatening dire consequences to those who didn't take it to heart, whereas the message of Jesus was a more joyful announcement of good news.
Jesus, unlike John, went out of his way to reach out to sinners, even eat and drink with them. He also took the initiative to reach out to people who were poor, on the margins of society. 
No miracles are reported of John, but the ministry of Jesus was filled with miracles, especially healing.

 The biggest difference of all is this:
 Although both John and Jesus preached repentance, a change of heart, reform, Jesus was more than a reformer. Jesus was a "transformer." Jesus changed the condition of the world by his entry into history. Jesus changed the condition of our lives by sending his own Spirit upon us.

John the Baptist himself recognized the difference. We heard John say in today's gospel: I am baptizing you with water, for repentance, but the one who is coming after me is mightier than I...He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
We all want to re-form ourselves from time to time. New Year's resolutions are an example. Advent is also a time when we think about reform - it's the beginning of a new Church year, and we're coming upon the end of another calendar year. It's a natural time to think of changes we'd like to make in our lives.
What strikes me about reform - as we compare and contrast John and Jesus - is that we usually try to reform ourselves by using our own resources. Sort of like a self-help program.
The Baptist preached that kind of reform. He spoke forcefully about the need for reform, and then the people had to figure out how to do it.
 Jesus spoke differently.
Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart.

I am the vine, you are the branches. Whoever remains in me and I in them will bear much fruit, because without me you can do nothing.

This is my body...take and eat...This is my blood...take and drink.

The reform Jesus talks about is never based on our own initiative or our own resources. We turn to him, not to our own self-help plan.
Last week we spoke of Advent as a time of being pregnant. Well, it is God who creates this life within us. We do our part to give that life the best chance of being healthy by how we live our life.
So, too, with respect to our re-form. What would happen if we turned to the Lord first and said, Lord, what is it that you want me to change in my life?
It might be something we haven't thought much about. The Lord might say something like, Well, I think it would be good if you and I spent more time together. Like maybe a few minutes every day. Or it might be, I'd like you to look at your relationships with other people - your family, or the people you work with, or a relationship that isn't so good.
Or...The first thing I want you to do is reconcile with your brother, or your sister whom you haven't spoken to in years. Or...I want you to feed your spirit more. I created you for more than the superficial things that you entertain yourself with most every day.
 I don't know what the Lord would say to me, but I do know that I need to give the Lord a chance to say it. 
Think of the difference it would make if we realized that something we need to reform in our lives, isn't our idea. It's the Lord's idea. It's what the Lord is calling us to do. It is the Lord who is calling us to do this, or stop doing that.
It might be the same thing we were thinking about, but now we realize that it comes from the Lord. It's a whole different story. And it's no longer simply a matter of doing it by the sheer force of our own will power. It's a matter of God's grace. That's a major difference.
The source of true reform isn't our own initiative or our own resources. The source of true reform is the Lord, who shapes us in his own image. That's our journey and our destination.
But Advent isn't a self-help or self-guided program. It's a time when we seek more fully the guidance of the Lord - our spiritual GPS. 

No comments:

Post a Comment