Thursday, November 24, 2016

ATTITUDE OF GRATITUDE

Thankgiving Day – once again, we gather to give thanks with and for friends and family. A question worth asking is, Is our definition of family the same as God's? 

We gather to remember life-giving memories and to make new ones. We will tell our stories, and once again come to know who we are, and we will be strengthened for the journey forward. 

But today reminds us that it is more than about fellowship with family and friends…it is about having an ATTITUDE OF GRATITUDE! Once more today’s gospel tells us of the ten lepers who are healed, one of whom came back to give thanks. 

What was wrong with those ungrateful nine in today’s gospel? What could have stopped them from expressing appreciation for the miracle of good health?

1. Procrastination: I’ll do it tomorrow.
2. Assumption: He knows I’m thankful. I don’t have to tell him.
3. Insensitivity: No big deal for him! He just said a few words.
4. Entitlement: It’s about time! I deserved to be healthy in the first place.
5.  Selfishness: I’m getting a new life. I don’t have time.
6. Thoughtlessness: What for? What difference will a ‘thank you’ make?
7. Arrogance: He’s only doing what he’s supposed to be doing. Besides, he should thank me for being there so he could do his job!
8. Irresponsibility: It’s in the past. I’m healthy now. I want to forget all about my illness.
9. Hopelessness: It’s too late. I should have done it before. What can I do now?

Survey says: Nine out of ten thoughts can restrain gratitude. 

Thank God for that one thankful thought. May God help us to cultivate more…for our own good. Being thankful is indispensable to our happiness and well-being.

In the early centuries of our faith, it was the tradition of pilgrims to visit the holy Desert Fathers and to ask for a word by which to live. A pilgrim came to Abba Joseph requesting such a word. Abba Joseph gave him the word Ah. 

The seeker pronounced that simple syllable, and in a flash his heart was opened to the wonder at the heart of life. The pilgrim walked away repeating the word sensing awe in even the most commonplace wonders he passed along the way. 

To another pilgrim, Abba Joseph said, You’re lucky! Today, you get a bonus, for I’m giving you two words: thank you. The pilgrim was disappointed and said, Abba, did I come all this way to be given so common an expression? How can this everyday phrase be a word of life? He answered him, I assure you if you make ‘thank you’ your constant prayer word, you will find life in great abundance

As our readings this week have been about the end times, here’s another story. A holy monk asks his students, At the final judgment, what do you want to hear God say to you?

The first disciple answered, I would like God to say, “I forgive you. All your sins have been wiped completely away. A second student said, I would like God to say to me, “Don’t worry about all you failed to accomplish in life. I understand. Now, enter into your heavenly reward.  Lastly, a third disciple reflects for a while and then says, I would like to hear God say, “Thank you.”

What would you like God to say to you…today?

1 comment:

  1. What would you like God to say to you…today?

    Jeremiah 29:11-14. For I know well the plans I have in mind for you...plans to give you a future full of hope...when you call me, when you go to pray to me, I will listen to you...when you seek me with all your heart, you will find me with you, says the Lord...

    Thank you for the opportunity to share what is on my heart today. Much love and thanks.

    ReplyDelete