Wednesday, June 9, 2010

KID STUFF

On my desk sits a prized possession: a crayon drawing by my great nephew, Nathan, which boldly says, “Uncle Frank”. Each time I see this little masterpiece of colors I’m reminded of the love and playfulness of my brother’s grandchildren…and of their innocent wisdom.

Little Vito, another great nephew, said to his mother, “Mom, I get God-mail. Sometimes, I’m just sitting not doing anything and these thoughts come into my head. I think it’s God-mail.” On another occasion, when he was about four, he asked my brother, “Nonno, what color is God?” My brother said, “I don’t know. What color is God?” Vito said, “Gray.” Somewhat surprised big Vito said, “Gray? Where did you hear that?” “In school, we learned God is good, God is gray.”

Perhaps my best lesson from children came from my son, Steven. When he was about five his best friend was Jason, a bit older and, I thought, always taking advantage of Steve, taking his toys, making him do things, etc. I tried to get Steven to stand up for himself, but was not very successful.

One time upon returning from a business trip to Japan I brought him the latest transformer toy, which had not yet made it to the U.S. It was a combination robot, jet, and gun, each made by rearranging the parts. Steve had to run and show it to Jason, who promptly took it from him and somehow broke the toy. Steve came home in tears, crushed at his loss. I did my best to console him, promising him another on my next trip. I was sad for him, but also happy that perhaps now he had learned a valuable lesson and would choose his friends more wisely.

Within the next hour I looked out into the back yard and saw the two of them playing together again. I stepped out into the deck and called Steve over, and reminded him that Jason had broken his new toy. I asked him, “What are you doing playing with him?” He didn’t say anything, but simply looked at me, with a look that said, “Are you nuts? Don’t you know he’s my best friend?” And went back to play.

5 comments:

  1. You might call it 'kid stuff' but that's a pretty adult message! Thanks! sm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your blog. Thanks for continuing to write. I draw inspiration for my day from reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute and thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thank you for always sharing your experiences Father Frank...........you are an amazing gift......thank you for being a forever friend. Love and Friendship....Lourdes Soto

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite "KID STUFF" story in our family:
    Once many years ago, I read from the bible to our children.

    Our son loved the story of Jesus on the boat in the stormy sea...Well, one night, after prayers, the children were in their bedrooms...My husband and I "got into it" about some dumb thing...Anyways, I made a comment to him that "our marriage was a sinking ship"....

    From the bedroom, my then 4 year old son yells out: "Courage! BE NOT AFRAID"!

    My husband and I busted out laughing.
    Gotta love how God works in our lives.
    Love his sense of humor....Needless to say, that was the end of that argument.

    God is Good!
    God is Grey!
    ALL THE TIME!

    I love and thank you.

    ReplyDelete