Wednesday, November 18, 2009

FORGIVE ME FATHER

I have been asked to share some words on the Sacrament of Reconciliation. It has been said that “life is an adventure in forgiveness.” Still, it seems there are many good Catholics who strive to live our faith, but find that confession (at least to a priest) is not necessary, perhaps because they may have had a prior bad experience. I can relate to that.

Earlier this year, I was hearing confessions in Raleigh, NC, (as part of my weekend visit for Food for the Poor), when the penitent began to repeat his sins. I said to him, “I think I already heard these.” He snapped, “No you haven’t.” I apologized and he proceeded. Then there was a pause, so I began to give him his penance, when he interrupted and said, “I’m not done yet.” Again I apologized, and he continued. Once again he was repeating what he had confessed earlier. I waited until there was a long pause, and asked if he had finished. He assured me that he had. As I began to give him his penance, he said, “I don’t like that penance. In fact, I don’t like you. I think I want to kill you.” And before those words had sunk in, he had left his side of the confessional, opened the door to mine, and came at me. I stuck out my hands and right leg to hold him back, and said to him, “Get hold of yourself! Do you realize where you are?” To which he said, “I’m sorry. Can I go to confession again?” I responded, “Yes…Next Saturday.”

What is this sacrament all about? Like all sacraments, it is first and foremost AN ENCOUNTER WITH GOD. And there is more. A former parishioner, Charlie Turner, a warrior battling life, and wise far beyond his limited education, sends me poetry every so often. One of his latest –

I will have to die to live forever.
I will have to die to see the face of God.
I pray I never see the face of the devil.
To see the devil’s face would mean I have offended God.

When I was a babe, only original sin stained my soul.
But with age I blanketed my soul with sins of my own.
True sorrow is the bath to cleanse my soul.
So I fear not death…I can look for the face of God.

Confession is a time of repentance and sorrow. It is a moment in life when we are most honest with God…and with ourselves. It is the blessing of a deep inner peace that comes with such sincerity. And, it is also another opportunity to develop the best possible relationship with God, with our neighbor, and with ourselves.

It is easy to fall into the trap of confessing a laundry list of sins that, perhaps, we first confessed as kids or teens. Bad habits of sorts, like a recurring addiction, that seem to have gotten the best of us. But more than repeating our failings and getting absolution, it is really about coming home, being embraced with gentleness and compassion, discovering anew how much we are loved (very much like the Prodigal Son by his Father – Lk 15:11-32), and finding a way to be most truly the person we were created to be.

Of all the sacraments, this is my favorite. I cannot overstate the wonder I have experienced in seeing a penitent, perhaps after many years of separation from the Church and God, with tears of joy upon being reconciled with both…and with themselves. For often, it is easier to accept God’s forgiveness than to forgive oneself. And this, too, is an essential part of the sacrament.

At the start of Confession, I usually ask the penitent to begin (if they have not done so) with the sign of the cross. I tell them that this is not only the sign of our belief that Christ gave His all for us on the cross. It is also a sign that tells us that God still loves us. God is with us and loves us. Of course we all believe it. The problem is that we forget, and when we forget, we do all kinds of stupid things. If we could remember that God is with us, and loves us, I am convinced that it would be impossible (not difficult, but impossible) for us to sin. It’s as if we are driving with a police officer right behind us. If we are aware, we drive more carefully. Not that God is a police officer. Still, we need to remind ourselves that God is with us and loves us. And so I say to the penitent, “Each time you make the sign of the cross, wherever you are, let it be a reminder that GOD IS WITH YOU AND GOD LOVES YOU!”

After confession of their sins, comes the penance, not as a punishment but to help them fulfill their commitment to sin no more, to avoid the near occasion of sin, to grow in the awareness and love of God, to be holy. What I have learned in my short time as a priest is that many of our sins stem from a low self-esteem, which leads us to greed and envy, to lies, to gossip about, judge, and criticize others, and worse to abuse others (or ourselves) verbally, emotionally, physically, sexually, etc. Therefore, my primary penance is to have the penitent focus on some aspect of their character that they really like. Something that makes them feel good and proud of who they are. To discover this quality about themselves, to affirm it, to give thanks for it…AND THEN TO LIVE UP TO IT, not to merely comply with some Church law, but to bring out and live the best in them.

This may be well and good. But why confess to another, why not go straight to God? Because Jesus said so. “Whatever you loose on earth, shall be loosed in heaven.” (Mt 18:18) It’s that simple. HE SAID SO. Perhaps because he knows better than we do how much we need it; how healing and life-giving it is. It is a puzzle to me how so many will accept the words of Jesus when it comes to Baptism or the Eucharist, but not so with respect to Reconciliation. We would think it absurd for a faithful Catholic to baptize their baby themselves at home (unless it were an emergency), or to try to consecrate bread and wine at their table. Here we readily accept the role of the priest as an essential part of our faith. Why then do we not when it comes to Confession? Is it not what Jesus commanded?

8 comments:

  1. I think so much of it depends on personal experience. Somewhere between my childhood, where confession was more about feeling guilty, and penance WAS punishment, and when I finally went back to confession as an adult with children of my own, the sacrament seemed dramatically changed. The priest I went to was not judgemental, did not berate me, laughed with me, cried with me, and hugged me when we were done. It certainly changed my attitude about the sacrament, and though I'm no longer practicing Catholic, I do have strong memories of very good experiences, and very good insights passed on to me by priests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why not come home? Is there anything I can do to welcome you back?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very powerful.......I will email this to my friends. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Father, I have a question -

    Do I need to confess the sins from previous confessions? I understand that the sins I have repeated I need to. What about those that I have not committed again?

    Oh, one more thing... Would one confess something that they did in their childhood that at the time they didn't know that it was wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Forgive me Father" but aren't you being a bit naive when your "penance" only looks at the good in someone? It would be easy for anyone to fool you by putting on a false holy face to get your sympathy and to avoid a reality check. Doesn't the Bible say something about "Don't spare the rod"?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even if you "put on a false holy face" for the priest, do you think God isn't going to see through that? This isn't about you and the priest, its about you and your relationship with God. And accentuate the negative, overlook the good? Sounds like the old Catholic church, no thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "This isn't about you and the priest, its about you and your relationship with God."

    Surely it is more than just about you and your relationship with God. After all, Jesus told us that the second greatest commandment is like the first. We are to love our neighbor as our selves. Sin damages our relationship with our neighbor as well as with God. No one can fool God, of course, but in giving the apostles (and successively through them to the bishops and priests), the power to forgive sins or not (cf., John 20:23), Jesus was clearly intending some method for them to make that decision, some form of confession.

    I am curious about why your comment complaining about the negativity of a previous comment is so negative? I'm not so young as to not remember "the old Catholic church", and I don't recall it being a general property of the Church to "accentuate the negative, overlook the good". There were people like that, and there still are, in all walks of life.


    As for "spare the rod, and spoil the child", it is from a Samuel Butler poem satirizing the English Civil War, though the idea can be traced back to Proverbs 23. The point of it isn't that the child can't be forgiven. You will forgive your child for spilling the milk, but you will still make him clean it up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. People who have left the church, in general, don't come back. Part of the problem is the priests' attitudes, including yours, believing themselves to be holier than thou. Fortunately God gave us the choice of intelligence, free-will, etc. to sort through this sheep herding Church. I'm sure that it is sad for you as a priest, Fr. Frank, to accept this, but think about it. Most of us could say the Mass in our sleep; do the words and actions really have meaning or is it the mentality of being afraid we won't make it to Heaven unless we are Sunday church goers? Is it not more important to follow the call of Christ in our daily lives than to stress out about our shortcomings, more important to share a meal and thoughts with friends and family than to robotically take communion, and most important of all, know we have a direct line to God........you may need more because you have chosen to be the "Great Shepherd" who feeds your own egotistical needs, but not all of us need to do that. Be in harmony, love the earth, love your fellow man.............don't blindly follow an ancient religion just because..........use your head and thoughts. That's why God gave us choice and intelligence. My own husband died, not because he was old but because he was obsessed by the way he was raised and fearful each minute of each day that he would not get to Heaven unless he followed Church rule to the letter. He even went to confession at 3 different churches every single Sunday I knew him, which spanned way over 40 years. Personally you will never see me anywhere near a Church or confessional. If it is comforting to you, so be it.

    ReplyDelete